Shane Bower #32; St Louis Gatekeepers (2)
1) What pump up song plays in your head when you take the track? Delirium Trigger by Coheed and Cambria
2) What is your favorite city to travel to play derby in? Denton Texas. I love that town and I’ve only had good experiences there.
3) Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why? All of ARRG. Duh.
4) When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with? Any of them, really. We all get along really well, so it’s not set in stone. Except for Kyle Stark. He doesn’t like sleeping with other people. I think he’s ashamed of what he sleeps in.
5) Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]? Well apparently Dr. Feelgood Marshall. I mean, rivalry is a two way street, right? But also these guys: Shreddy Mecury, Cory Pain, Streak, definitely NOT Chuck Best, SeaHorses 4ever, my entire team, and other guys (if you’re wondering if that includes you, hit me up). smile emoticon
6) What is your favorite post-bout food? Uh, whiskey and ice cream are pretty regular parts of my post bout life.
Jonathan R #6; New York Shock Exchange (3)
1) What pump up song plays in your head when you take the track? Toccata and Fugue in D minor by Johann Bach and the Phon Coast by Hitoshi Sakimoto
2) What is your favorite city to travel to play derby in? That’s a hard choice! I love taking in the local flavor and regional cuisine specialties unique to every city around the world. Chicagoland has a special place in my heart since I grew up there (looking forward to sharing the track with some Bruise Brothers sometime) but i can’t deny the excitement of traveling to a new place.
3) Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why? Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why? Bluebonnet Plague of Gotham Girls Roller Derby. She’s tough, fun, talented, smart, innovative, successful, and beautiful; the total package.
4) When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with? When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with? Whichever ones let me hang up my tights/jeggings to air dry.
5) Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]? Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]? There are so many fantastic MRDA skaters whose talent and skill pushes me to be better that I can’t even make a list without feeling like I’ve left too many off. No one has beaten me harder, physically and mentally, than my Shock Exchange teammates (in intraleague games, scrimmages, practices, barbecues, etc.) so they are the primary driving factor.
6) What is your favorite post-bout food? What is your favorite post-bout food? I like steak, pickles, chocolate milk, and soda.
The Match Up
Yesterday, NYSE barely squeezed out a win against a very hard So Disco crew. It was nerves of steel and experience that got them back into the game and victorious in the end, by only 5 points (including a nailbiting final jam that featured a fresh power jam for the Englanders). The Gatekeepers had a (relatively) easy time handling Bridgetown Menace last night and had a comfortable victory.
Today the Gatekeepers have to contend with a hungry crew of New Yorkers who understand they have to turn up their veracity. The Gatekeepers play like So Disco, if SDRD had more high level experience. The Gatekeepers understand that to get through said New Yorkers, they need to stay out of the box, and be persistent. Watching fan favorites (and Team USA team mates) Shane Bower against Jonathan R is going to make the morning exciting for sure.
This game kicks off the second day of River City Rumble at 9a CST on WFTDA.tv