Nicholas Becker #12; Your Mom Men’s Roller Derby (1)
1) What pump up song plays in your head when you take the track? Til’ I Collapse by Eminem – The beat is just energizing the the Chorus of the song gives me an extra little edge mentally! There are a few others, but that is my song to put me in the zone
2) What is your favorite city to travel to play derby in? I have been pretty blessed with the different teams I have played with over the years.. I would say Playing with Team USA in Birmingham was pretty amazing… The crowd had so much energy.. I remember being on the track when The opposing team scored the first point on us and I could barely here myself think none the less talk to my teammates.. That weekend was the most mind blowing weekend of my derby career to date!!
3) Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why? My favorite skater in the WFTDA… Wow… I look up to and respect many of them.. I think the first name that comes to mind.. Acker’s.. She is such a driving motion with her team on the track (which i have experienced 2x now with Your Mom) and s\pushes herself to be an amazing leader. Seeing her Captain Team USA this last year when I was working the Roller Derby Elite both was pretty awesome.. Maybe its her twerking.. I dont know.. lol.. J
4) When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with? Ahh… I have stayed with pretty much about any of them.. Being a satellite skater anytime I’m with the team I need a place to stay…. The team has opened there homes for me and I couldn’t be more blessed to have them. Most often I spend my time with A muse or open my room for a teammate to stay with me…
5) Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]? They may sound weird for those that don’t know my past, but the 3 Muse brothers. Back in 2011 when I played with the Green Bay Smackers we played Your Mom at a tournament.. The Muse Brothers and the rest of Your Mom has pushed me to the point I am at now.. I have really been super blessed with this opportunity that came to me.
6) What is your favorite post-bout food? BEER… nah, just kidding.. not a beer drinker even tho I live in Wisconsin… I rarely eat after a game.. My adrenaline levels are so high that I have a very low appetite. Its normally several hours after a game before I eat and then its pretty much whatever is close
Photo by Joel Giltner Photography
TJ “TIP” Binkley #5; Texas Men’s Roller Derby (4)
1) What pump up song plays in your head when you take the track? (My song would have to be Jammin by Black Violin. Back when I jamskated that song always got me pumped up and when I skated for MCM that was are skate out song)
2) What is your favorite city to travel to play derby in? (Besides the DFW area I would have to say St. Louis. They have awesome fans and I love the venue.)
3) Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why? (I really enjoy skating against my wife (Hannah Barbaric). She is able to adapt to my skating since we always skate together. I would also have to say Smarty Pants. She is a class act. I always enjoy sharing the track with her.)
4) When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with? (I try to room with anyone who doesn’t snore. I HATE snoring. My roomies are usually Haterade, GI Joel and HimQlez. Good group of guy’s. )
5) Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]? (The two guy’s I like skating against are my old teammates Jeremy Strecker and Chuck Best. I have grown up with both of them and they always push me to skate my hardest against them.)
6) What is your favorite post-bout food? (Mexican or Firehouse Subs are my go to’s.)
The Match Up
Your Mom is known for speed skating agility and edgework; they use their momentum to get through packs and around blockers. They use their momentum to put other blockers on the floor. They have some bruisers like Becker and Jack Hammer’d, and they have strategists like Seahorses Forever and Sugar Boots. They have impossible to catch jammers in Rollomite and Frank NotsoHotra.
Texas is like their up-and-coming little brother. They have a lot of experience of high level play in TJ Binkley and GI Joel. All of their jammers jump apexes and out-juke opponents (you’ll rarely see The Enabler or Dr. Feelgood with all 8 on the ground). Their recycling yesterday against Puget was on point.
This is going to like the Puget/Your Mom game of Maritime Mayhem, which was called one of the best games of the year. This game gets rolling at 11a CST on WFTDA.tv