Steven Keedy #11; Magic City Misfits (8)
1) What pump up song plays in your head when you take the track? What pump up song plays in your head when you take the track? I don’t normally listen to any music before a bout. I usually am trying to stay calm before bouts, I don’t need anything else to get me to keyed up. You’ll probably see me circling the floor before bouts, that’s to keep myself calm.
2) What is your favorite city to travel to play derby in?
What is your favorite city to travel to play derby in? Jacksonville!! Really, anywhere that is in a skating rink with a nice wooden floor. That’s what I grew up skating on, so that’s where I’m the most comfortable.
3) Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why?
Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why? Kat Von from the New Jax City Rollers. Because she’s my girlfriend!!! Seriously though, she’s been playing for almost 9 years and is still going strong. As other girls have had to retire or had the game pass them by, she’s still out there working hard and trying to get better. She always working on becoming a better skater and a better teamwork. The entire New Jax team has taught me how to play this game. I wouldn’t be where I am without going to their practices every week.
4) When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with?
When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with? Well this weekend will be only my 3rd time traveling with MCM. I’m staying with Christopher Smith and Jason Moseley.
5) Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]?
Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]? Anyone from St. Louis. Their teamwork is unbelievable. They have the most solid walls I’ve ever played against. Hopefully we’ll get another shot to go up against them this weekend at Champs.
6) What is your favorite post-bout food? What is your favorite post-bout food? Pizza!! Really, anything. I love to eat.
I’d like to give a special thanks to Debbie Rice and Erin Jackson of Bont Quad Skates for all their support this season. My skates really are lighter, faster, and stronger than any other skates I’ve ever used. The Magic City Misfits are ready for Champs and can’t wait to show everyone we’re back!!!!!
Twinkle Toes #69; Your Mom Men’s Derby (1)
1) What pump up song plays in your head when you take the track? I like to listen to a lot a Volbeat and Eminem while warming up.
2) What is your favorite city to travel to play derby in? One of my favorite places to play Derby would have be seattle, I love the fish market.
3) Who is your favorite WFTDA skater and why? Tracy akers, she’s a tough blocker then can drop you to your knees.
4) When the team travels, which team mate(s) do you room with? I typically bunk up with either Cleveland Stever but I also like me some unicorn log jam!
5) Which MRDA skater pushes you to be better [because they’ve beaten you in the past]? I like watching Scott Slamilton, his foot work is phenomenal.
6) What is your favorite post-bout food? I love a good steak but it’s typically more like pizza and beer.
The Match Up
This is speed against speed. Magic City has the stamina and the muscle to toe up against Your Mom, but the key will be teamwork. The guys from Des Moines know each other well enough, and have reflexes sharp enough, to work around each other fluidly and with few mistakes.
Both teams have jammers that can spin and hop around the competition. Both teams have big blockers with hard-to-beat lateral motion. This is going to be a test of nerves and penalties. Both teams are known for going through waves of penalty trouble, but Des Moines has always been able to recover with grace (and fury) in the past, thus their 3 consecutive gold medals. If Magic City can keep their head cool, they’ll be a real contender in the final game of the evening. Chef is ready to start cooking, and Becker’s ready to break some walls. This will be a game to watch.
Your Mom faces off against the men of Florida at 7p CST on wftda.tv